Laser Safety Officer Training
Lasers are used in various industrial, research, military and educational settings. These settings and their numerous applications present both laser beam and non-beam hazards. This training program was developed for individuals using or working with lasers in manufacturing, research or educational settings and has been assigned the role of Laser Safety Officer (LSO).
This course will address the specific duties of the LSO as outlined in ANSI Z136.1 "Safe Use of Lasers". All Laservision training is designed to meet the OSHA referenced ANSI Z136.1 "Safe Use of Lasers" standard. This course has been awarded 3.0 CM Points by ABIH and 32 CECÕs by AAHP.
The American National Standards Institute (ANSI) has developed a series of laser safety standards. The parent document, ANSI Z136.1 "Safe Use of Lasers" provides guidance for the safe operation and use of lasers and laser systems by defining control measures for each classification of laser. The basis of the laser classification scheme is the ability of the direct or reflected beam cause biological damage to the eye or skin during its intended use. Many lasers used in manufacturing, R & D and material processing are classified as Class 3B or 4. These are the two highest classifications of laser systems and by definition may present an eye, skin or fire hazard from the direct or reflected beam. ANSI Z136.1 provides specific responsibilities for the Laser Safety Officer and how to control laser hazards. This course has been developed to review and discuss the following topics:
- Laser Standards & Regulations
- Program Administration and LSO Responsibilities
- Laser Terminology
- Fundamentals of Lasers and Light
- Specular and Diffuse Reflections
- Laser Output and Types
- Laser Hazard Classification
- Laser Bioeffects on the Eye and Skin
- Medical Surveillance
- Maximum Permissible Exposure (MPE)
- Nominal Hazard Zone (NHZ)
- Non Beam Hazards
- Laser Accidents
- Control Measures
- Personal Protective Equipment
Upon completion of this course the attendee will:
- Be able to develop a laser safety program
- Learn the responsibilities of the LSO
- Learn laser terminology
- Laser Hazard evaluation
- Engineering, Administrative and Procedural Control Measures
- How to audit and record keeping
- Accidents history and how to prevent them
- Laser laws, regulations and requirements of ANSI, OSHA and CDRH
The course fee is $795 per attendee.
Each attendee will receive a complete set of LSO course notes, a copy of ANSI Z136.1 "Safe Use of Lasers" standard, a Laservision Basic Guide to Laser Safety, laser safety program and resource forms and documentation and a certificate of completion.